Monday, February 27, 2006

Benefits of core strength training?


As I related in an earlier post, my trainer, Jenny P, put me on a strength training regime as part of my triathlon coaching program. While I haven't been on the program for very long, it's been interesting to observe the effects. There's a noticeable improvement of the muscle tone of my mid section -- helped somewhat by the lose of 5 pounds -- and I'm feeling stronger in some of my sports disciplines.

For example, I finished today's swim workout with a 300 yd free swim. I was pleasantly surprised at my 5:30 time. -- probably a good 20 seconds faster than I would have usually swum the distance. Hardly ripping up the pool, but I felt strong throughout and my stroke held together very well, even at the end.

Now if I could just learn how to stand on a Bosu ball!

No comments: