Friday, March 10, 2006

Grinding it out

I've been going at it pretty hard this week, and I'm starting to feel the strain a bit. Yesterday's run went pretty well. I got 3.1 miles in during my son's soccer practice, but felt like I was running on fumes near the end. I'd forgotten to bring a post-run snack with me, and I ended up feeling very spent with no way to refuel.

Got up early this morning for a one hour spin on my trainer, and really felt like I was on empty for much of the ride. I still managed the full hour, dividing the time up into a 10 minute warm up, then 5 sessions of 6 minutes hard/4 minutes easy. For the hard sessions I kept the pace at over 16 MPH, with my HR in the 70-75% range. I'm pretty convinced that "trainer speed and distance" doesn't have much to do with "real world speed and distance," but it gives me a relative level to work at. And the resulting HR seems about right for improving my aerobic base without going too hard.

I'm sensitive to the thought that I may be pushing a bit too hard. I'm feeling hungry and just a tad flushed and feverish. Still, my HR was dead on at 56 this morning, so I'm going to keep grinding it out this weekend. I've got a 3 mile run on Saturday, and then I'm going to bike 28 on Sunday (should be a beautiful day.)

My training log at Beginnertriathlete.com.

No comments: