Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Changes in latitude, changes in attitude


Traveling can sometimes interupt training, and sometimes can add a little bit of spice. The sights, sounds, even smells of a different venue can put a spark into the "same old, same old."

Case in point:

The family drove to the Carolinas this last weekend, with a two-fold mission: see my alma mater (WVU) play a football game, and visit my wife's long-time friend and sorority sister in Durham. Since the football game was late Saturday afternoon, I had plenty of time in the morning to get up and get my run in.

Durham is home to a very nice rail-trail, the American Tobbaco Trail, that's only a few minutes walk from our friend's house. Screened from the highway and businesses by trees and earth banks, the trail is surprisingly quiet, and the flat, paved surface had a crushed gravel border that was ideal for running on. All in all a delightful place for a run, especially as I passed through areas of pine forest, where a bed of needles absorbed my footfalls. I passed families with strollers, recreational cyclists, walkers, runners, dog walkers; all in a good mood and enjoying the shared community of the trail.

And the run? Good!

Coach Debi had me scheduled to "run" for 30 minutes, split up between 2 minutes running and 1 minute walking. This was 10 minutes more than I've done before during my knee rehab. The running felt good -- no limp, good speed, and the knee felt very stable underneath me.

It's two weeks now until the Giant Acorn Tri, and I'm feeling confident. The run will be slow, but I'm sure I'll get through it OK. Anyway, it'll be nice to do a race after missing the entire season.

Ken

No comments: