Monday, October 02, 2006

Counting down...


It seems a little odd to be saying it at this date, but I'm getting pumped for my first race of the year.

In 2005 I took the plunge and started doing triathlons, competing in two sprint events. My performance was respectable: age group finishes of 14 out of 24, and 8 out of 13, and I was hooked. I worked hard through the fall and winter to improve for the 2006 season, but when I injured my knee in March, the season's plans were pretty much shot.

I'm almost 5 months out from my knee surgery now, with the Giant Acorn sprint tri on October 8th, and I honestly am not quite sure what to expect. If I compare myself to 2005, there's no doubt that I'm a much stronger swimmer than I was then. My cycling is coming back well, and I'm probably faster now than I was before (losing 10-15 pounds does seem to help when you're on the bike!)

Running, of course, is the wild card. All my running to this point has been run/walks, as I gradually build up the knee. Even running/walking, I'm able to do 10 minute miles when I'm on the track. I'll just try to run the distance with a steady pace and finish the run with some degree of grace.

In truth, it's probably best to go into the race with low expectations -- stay conservative and enjoy myself. Still. . . a good swim, solid bike, smooth transitions, and a decent run -- maybe I'll be able to crack the top 1/2 of my age group.

Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?

Ken

P.S. -- I've actually got a day off in my training schedule for the week! Thanks, Coach Debi!

No comments: