Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Winter training


No doubt about it, I wimped out this morning. No, I still did my run, but I couldn't brave the cold, and drove five minutes to the gym, where I could trot in comfort on the indoor track. Of course, in a few months a calm, 35-degree morning will seem pretty balmy, but I'm just not ready for it yet.

Winter seems to be creeping in a bit early this autumn in central Virginia. There's been no snow yet, but the temperature has been below average the last few weeks, and the sky has already taken on the bright clarity of the winter season. Views of the Blue Ridge mountains that were obscured in haze a few months ago are now crystal clear -- so clear you swear you can count the trees on the distant peaks.

At any rate, it's time to take a trip to Performance Bike to pick up some gloves and warm socks so I can take advantage of the rare days that are suitable for cycling in December, January, and February, and check my Netflix queue so I'm ready for the trainer rides to come. And get ready to brave the cold air of those morning runs. At least the pool is indoors!

Keeping it real -- check out my training log.

No comments: