Wednesday, September 13, 2006

She's not a spiffy tri bike, but I love her anyway

I got my Lemond Reno back in the summer of 2004, before I'd thought much about doing triathlons. It was an upgrade from my old Trek touring bike, which was a nice comfy, dependable ride (but a bit on the heavy side).

The Reno has been a good fit for me -- it wasn't too expensive (about $900), but it has an aluminum frame that rides very smoothly (the carbon front fork helps). As I've gotten into the sport, I've tricked it out a bit: clipless Shimano pedals (basic stuff from Performance Bike), clip-on aero bars, and my favorite addition -- a new wheelset.

I put a Rolf Prima Tempo wheelset on last week (picked up during a nice sale at C-ville Bike and Tri) with Michelin ProRace 2 tires -- wow, what a difference. There's a whole different feel to the bike: accelerations are easier, and I pick up speed downhill like a bat out of you-know-where. Not to mention that the new wheels with the red and black tires look like a million bucks. Money well spent!

Trainings been going well: a short run/walk this morning (all my coach allows right now), followed by weight training. Thursday morning it's into the pool for 3000 yards, running/weights on Friday and Saturday. Sunday I'm allowed to ride for two hours. It'll be the first time I've been out for more than 30 miles since last year.

As always, check out my training log at beginnertriathlete.com.

No comments: