Wednesday, September 06, 2006

And suddenly...

It's been over 17 weeks since my knee surgery (not that I've been counting). While it has continued to improve every week, running has been the slowest to recover. Even though I've been slowly increasing the amount I've been running, I've had a hard time shaking a queasy inner feeling -- "will it hold up?" As I run, I subconciously expect my left knee to explode in a shower of bone fragments and ripped cartilage, collapsing under me in a bloody froth, like a special effect out of a bad action movie

Until today.

Somehow, for some reason, the uneasy feeling was gone. I ran, and it felt -- well -- pretty normal. Not 100% yet, and I have to work to keep my gait smooth and consistent, but suddenly I wasn't in fear anymore. I can run -- still slow and still conservatively, but somehow it's become running again.

It's a nice feeling.

No comments: