Friday, September 01, 2006

A new month begins


(OK, I lied in the previous post...)

The remains of TS Ernesto are blowing through Virginia as I write. Nonetheless I'm going to do my run outside this afternoon -- there's nothing like the smug feeling of satisfaction gained from doing something marginally stupid.

Well, it really shouldn't be that bad. Some gusty 20+ MPH winds and heavy rain, and I'm only going to be outside for about 30 minutes. Should be fun!

A blank month ahead of me on the calendar, but I can look back on August with real satisfaction. I nailed every day on my training plan, kept my diet and weight under control, and continued a regular program of strength training. In particular, my swimming has been a strong point -- I shook off the nagging shoulder pain and slowly worked back up to a couple of solid swims a week (around 2300 yards/session). In the process, it looks like I've gained some speed as well.

Losing the summer to knee surgery has been a bit of a downer, but I've come through it stronger, lighter, and just as fast in the swim and bike. I'm sure the run will come around, and I'm looking forward to competing in the Giant Acorn sprint on October 8.

No comments: