Monday, January 29, 2007

19 weeks and counting...


Seems strange to think that Eagleman is only 19 weeks away. Plenty of time left, but something about getting inside that 20 week range seems to bring it closer to mind. So what's coming up for me?

In March, I plan to get a few road races in: the MJH 8K and the Charlottesville 10 Miler. I'l probably go pretty hard in the 8K, but at this point I'm looking at the 10 Miler as more of a chance to practice race strategy and control race-day nerves than to blast a fast time.

The Charlottesville 10 Miler was a fixture on my race calendar for many years. It's the biggest local race we have, with over 2000 competitors last year, but just haven't been able to get it together for some years now -- either out of shape, or hurt. No way I'm going to match my PR (1:13:01) -- that was about 10 years ago!

In April, I've got the Kinetic Sprint Triathlon. Haven't done this before, but based on the Giant Acorn Tri last October it should be fun. The roads in that part of Virginia are pretty flat, and it has a fairly long bike leg for a sprint -- 18 miles. With a 750 M swim, 18 mile bike, and a 5K run, it should be a good test for my fitness.

The Kinetic Sprint is 7 weeks out from Eagleman, and I don't have anything planned beyond that. I often read advice that you should do an Olympic distance tri before taking on the 1/2-IM, but I'm not too concerned about it. I've done 8 marathons, so the time factor isn't an issue -- I know what a long day on the road feels like.

At any rate, barring injury or fitness I'm totally confident that my preparation will be solid. Getting individual coaching has been a good choice for me -- I'm further along now than I ever imagined I would be.

Ken

You can see my training for yourself -- check out my log.

No comments: