Tuesday, April 24, 2007

A great weekend!

Did my first tri of the season this last weekend, at the Kinetic Sprint Tri. A 750M swim, 18 mile bike, and 5K run. You can read the race report here, but here are some more general observations.

My biking has improved a lot this year. Two years ago, when I did my first tri, I averaged a bit over 17 mph for a 17 mile course. On Sunday, I cruised strongly over 18 miles at better than 20 mph. There are still a lot of people out there who are better riders than me, but I moved up quite a bit. My cycling time almost put me in the top 1/3 of the entire male field. That's a nice confidence boost going into Eagleman -- I think I can put together a nice steady ride for the 56 miles with good pacing and nutrition.

Surprisingly, my run was the strongest split -- 11 out of 35 in my AG. I felt strong in the run, especially as I got along to the end, and was able to pass a lot of runners coming down the last mile or so. I'm pretty confident I can come off of the bike nice and strong.

My swim was a bit disappointing, at least in terms of comparison. It was my fastest to date at a tri, but didn't put me too far up my AG (15/35). Still, I was able to come out of the water strong, and get a quick T1 time. And a few seconds aren't really that much on the swim. The key for Eagleman will be to have a solid swim that doesn't wear me out.

And, I met my goal of being in the top half of my AG for the first time -- 13 out of 35 -- almost top 1/3!

Ken

My training log.

P.S. -- Shout out to Coach Debi for providing the beer after the race!

1 comment:

MRussell said...

Nice Job at Kinetic.