Thursday, November 09, 2006

7 months to go!


Pretty close, at least. The Eagleman 70.3 Triathlon is on June 10, 2007, so you'll excuse me the one extra day.

I've surprised myself with what a long-term project I've made of this. Initially I figured I'd get my knee back up to speed, and then get some coaching about 4 months ahead of the event to get ready. Instead, I started working with Coach Debi back in August, letting her guide my return to competition, and I've been working consistently ever since, gradually increasing the amount and intensity of training.

November is dedicated to maintaining on my bike while increasing the run total weekly time and single run distance. The goal is to work up to 120 minutes of running per week, with a long run of 60 minutes by the end of the month. That'll put me right about where I was before the injury. I'm not increasing my swim time much, though I'm getting more distance in as I get speedier. This week's swim total was 6200 yards, a personal best for me.

But it's all about the base at this point. Back in August Debi had me doing 4-1/2 to 5 hours of training a week, working every day. It felt like a lot. Now I'm up to 6-1/2 to 7 hours per week, and my body doesn't feel like it's under any more stress than it was at the beginning -- if anything, less. Training is a well-integrated part of my daily routine, and I feel surprisingly fresh at the end of most workouts -- no doubt my fitness is improving.

Knock on wood -- if I can stay injury free and stick with the program, I think I'll be pleased with the results.

Ken

Check for yourself -- my training log.

1 comment:

Bradj said...

Your training hours are just the same as mine. I am looking to do my first half this coming summer, and I was wondering if you increase your hours of training by much as race season approaches? Or do you just increase the intensity?