Thursday, December 22, 2005

Mail Pouch Thermometers


OK, I'm not going to go on a Norman Rockwell-ish nostalgia binge here, but I've had my eyes on one of these for years. I've got a bid on one at eBay right now, and I'm crossing my fingers.

I grew up about 10 miles away from the Bloch Bros. Tobacco Company (now out of business, though the name survives) in Wheeling, WV, and these thermometers (and an earlier version) were a fixture at country stores and gas stations throughout the region. Nowdays you'll be hard-pressed to find a country store, but that's another story...

I don't need a really good one, and I don't intend to preserve it either -- just hang it up on the back porch and watch it slowly fade and rust away. It wasn't meant to do anything else, after all.

Update: I got one! A bit battered but still very servicable, for about $50. It's hanging proudly on the back porch now -- I'll post a picture when I get a chance.

75th Anniversary company history (1954)
Great collection of Mail Pouch barn photos

No comments: